Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 August 2012

One injured as three-storey building collapses in Lagos


The collapsed three story building
An unidentified woman sustained injuries after a three-storey residential building at 3, Anikantamo Street, Lagos Island, collapsed on Wednesday.
Our correspondent learnt that the building, which is said to be about 10 years old, houses over 30 people.
One of the occupants of the building, Gabriel Areo, said they were warned by officials of the state government in 2011 of the imminent collapse but the landlord promised to renovate it.
He said, “In 2011, some government officials came to the house and gave a warning that the building might collapse. The landlord promised that he would renovate the building and even collected two years rent from us. He however did not keep his promise.
“In the morning, I just went out briefly and by the time I came back, I just saw that the building had collapsed. I thank God that no one died but I’ve lost most of my belongings.”
Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency and the Lagos State Emergency Agency as well as policemen immediately rushed to the scene.
The Public Relations Officer, NEMA, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye, said rescue operations had ended and that the injured woman was responding to treatment.
“The occupants of the house are being assisted to retrieve their belongings while the next building to the collapsed one will be demolished to guard against further threat,” he said.
Another resident, Godwin Onasanya, a printer, said he had over N400, 000 deposited in his room meant for customers’ jobs.
“I had N400, 345 in my room and now that the building has collapsed, I don’t even know what to do next. I will not go anywhere, I’ll wait until all the rubble have been excavated because I cannot allow anybody make away with all my money,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts